WHAT TIME IS IT?

About Me

My photo
Hometown: Detroit, MI;, Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
Welcome to my blog. I hope to share my experiences as an American living overseas in Seoul, South Korea. It promises to be filled with surprising adventures. Please feel free to comment, ask questions & sign my guestbook. I hope that you will come back often to see what my crusade to the East brings.

Friday, March 28, 2008

How I Spent Easter Sunday....

Throughout my entire life I have spent Easter Sunday the same exact way. First it starts with Sunday morning worship services, followed by lunch or dinner with the extended family. We greet each other, take pictures & exchange Easter eggs & candy. I can easily chronicle my life through the photos taken EVERY Easter Sunday. However this year, was a little bit different for me....for I attended Seoul Fashion Week events.


SEOUL FASHION WEEK

Some of you out there are not really concerned with the whole fashion scene. Clothing is a merely something you were to prevent streaking your co-workers and neighbors while you perform your daily tasks. Well, I am almost the opposite of that: I LOVE FASHION...and most of you reading this know that fashion is my THING! I love every aspect of it, designing it, wearing it, putting it together and even selling it! So to get an opportunity to attend this event was a real treat for me.

For those of you that still don't know what Seoul Fashion Week means, let me explain. In most fashion centers like NYC, LA, Milan & Paris fashion weeks are held several times a year to introduce the upcoming fashion designers collections for the upcoming seasons. Over the last month or so, designers have been showing their fall collections. These overly publicized media events are a way for designers to give a preview of their collections to the highly sought after leaders of the fashion industry (i.e. media, buyers, celebrities).

How many times in life does a regular person get to attend such a coveted event? Almost never, that is why I was sooooo excited to be there. Now don't get me wrong, I would have been excited to get in the door and view the show from the nearest exit, but on this particular adventure,...I had the HOOK UP!

Let me share...
As you know, since I arrived in Seoul, I have met so many interesting people. One such individual is Regina Walton (feel free to check out her blog too!) She is Los Angeles, CA native and expat who has lived in Seoul for the last 6 years. She is one of those sisters who just likes to take the world by storm. The UCLA alum has a law degree & just finished her Master's Degree in International Studies in Korea, all while teaching at Ewha Woman's University and writing for The Seoul Times (WOW!). So when I tell you she is a woman on the move...I mean it!

I had even checked out her blog when in America & thought it was pretty cool account of an AA women in Korea. At that time, I had no idea that we would get a chance to interact. One night after a viewing of a bi-lingual production of the Vagina Monologues & a meal at the local Tex Mex restaurant with mutual friends, we struck up an interesting conversation. We had talked sparingly throughout the evening, but when I volunteered to be the one to give Condaleeza Rice a makeover, we were tickled for the rest of the night. Speaking of fashionably challenged prompted a discussion of current fashion. Being the avid newspaper reader I am in Seoul, I started talking about the upcoming Seoul Fashion Week I had recently learned of....she then casually told me, "Oh yeah, I know, I will be covering that" WHAT?!? Fashion week!!! You have got to be kidding me!

Anywho, one thing lead to another & it lead to me chillin at the fashion shows this past weekend! I met some really interesting folks & got to get out and do what I like most, PARLAY with the people (to parlay, is a colloquial describing how to talk or engage in spirited conversations with really COOL people; derived from the french verb parler-to speak)

Keena at Seoul's Fashion Week (notice the press pass!!! I keep telling everyone...I'm famous in Korea....You just gotta luv it!)


One such interesting person is Mark. He is the founder of FEETMANSEOUL.com, an online magazine that focuses on the fashion trends that can be seen on the streets of Seoul. It's a really cool site too! Check it out! Feetmanseoul.com was the reason why I was at Fashion Week in such grand style. Mark & Regina covered the week long event, so for more info about the week long event you can check out the site. I am so grateful that they allowed me to hang out with them on that day. Currently Regina & Mark, along with a host of others are working to take this publication worldwide so stayed to tuned...they are destined for success!

Photo courtesy of FEETMANSEOUL.com (more photos at end of post)

Seoul's emerging fashion market

As discussed in many posts, South Korea is a developing country in many areas. Their growth can obviously be viewed in companies like Samsung, Hyundai & Kia. In the area of fashion, Korea is slowly emerging as a serious fashion market. A few months before arriving here in Seoul, I read a publication that claimed that Korean students are attending major design schools (i.e. Parsons, FIT etc.) in significantly increasing numbers. Quite concerned with the success of this emerging market, the government is publicly (& financially) backing the Seoul Fashion Week Event. As a result, a small showing of the who's who of Korean celebrities & politicians were present during the week long event.

Can't you see me sitting on the front row, legs crossed, quietly pointing and discussing the fashions on the runway???

To say the least, the event for me was totally a blast! During the amazing shows that I attended I even got to sit in the first & second rows with the press!! (I really have to think about my career choice in life...I have NEVER been this excited about taking care of a quality issue!) I got the opportunity to schmooze with some of the beautiful people, and met some people from around the world! I didn't take many pictures while at the shows cause I was just enthralled with my whole experience. I likened myself to country girl from the backwoods being taken to Times Square in New York City (of course I didn't let everyone else notice how excited I was, on the inside I was screaming; on the outside I was cool as a cucumber,...my mother would have been proud) While Regina & I were standing in the buffet line in the press room, we were even interviewed by Elle Korea! What a treat!

Today's Lesson:

Even though I didn't go to a formal service to worship God on that day, the Lord opened up some doors in my life & helped me to reflect and refocus. Bringing some things to my attention that I want to do & want to pursue in life. After all the Easter season reminds us of the death, burial & resurrection of Christ. In his death we now have hope... I realize as the scripture tells us, that "Christ died that we might have life, and life more abundantly" Therefore, on this Easter Holiday I was walking in some of the abundance of life that he died for.... Thank You JESUS!


This crusade to Korea is turning out to be more like a dream...I am having the time of my life.... there is so much more to tell, so stay tuned!!!!
K
More photos courtesy of feetmanseoul.com

No comments: