WHAT TIME IS IT?

About Me

My photo
Hometown: Detroit, MI;, Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
Welcome to my blog. I hope to share my experiences as an American living overseas in Seoul, South Korea. It promises to be filled with surprising adventures. Please feel free to comment, ask questions & sign my guestbook. I hope that you will come back often to see what my crusade to the East brings.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lifestyle Differences

As expected, living in Korea provides a different lifestyle than in America. Although, the basic necessities of life like clothing, food, & shelter are still present, there are different ways in which we[Koreans & Americans] handle these situations. These unique perspectives I believe, are based on cultural influences. Since my arrival in Korea, I have had many discussions with my colleagues who are always more than willing to give me a better insight to understanding the Korean culture (Thank Guys!). As a result, I have learned quite a bit about the Korean culture (even though there is so much more to explore culturally) and often enjoy taking the opportunity to share this information with my American friends here in Seoul, who don't have the same type of exposure to the Korean world that I live. Based on their own unique experiences, they are able to share another part of the Korean cultural equation. Through such intriguing discussions on Korean culture, it has helped me to understand and appreciate the environment that we now live.

I thought it might be interesting to chronicle a few of these differences that I have found along the way. Therefore, for the next several days, I will attempt to properly examine a few of these differences. Feel free to read them, add your opinions, or ask questions via comment. Keep in mind that while some of these differences are major, others don't matter in the grand scheme of life....BUT, they are interesting just the same. I believe that in order to understand a culture, you have to understand some of the REASONS why the people behave as they do.

So sit back, read on & enjoy! This should be good...

Thanx, K

P.S. Don't forget to comment, it's nice to know that people are actually reading this stuff!

8 comments:

supa dupa fly said...

the picture is sooooo friggin cool!!!!!!!! good to know we got something good out of that silly trip to the 63 building.

Anonymous said...

How does she do it??? Operation Kilo Tango in full effect...I would agree that culturally how can we define normal...More importantly those norms are not always accepted even within the communities that we live...Values are shared among many far and near and as you have experienced there is some common ground regardless of where you are from...Thank you for sharing, as you continue to broaden your horizons pls continue to take awesome pics...Vote: there needs to be a blog on proper photo editing and shot taking!!! All in favor pls comment...Proud of you Kilo Tango

Unknown said...

good stuff!

Anonymous said...

K.T., Wassup baby!!! Shed some more light on these differences. I look forwarded to some of the comparisons and similarities that you have encountered thus far.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ms. Keena...just got tuned into your site after talking to T^2 (Tonya). Of course I had to start from the beginning to get caught up. Girl you had me LOL! I am so happy that you elected to share your experience with us. You should be paid to travel the globe and do this for a living! Truly enlightening, educational & entertaining. God bless you in your travels. Carolann

JOLLY ROGER said...

HOW DO YOU DO... KOREANS

Intelligent design

The Korean government are forward thinkers. Some bright spark at the internal affairs office realised that instead of buying costly street sweepers they could just use bored middle aged women. Thusly every Korean mother or aunt is bowlegged, shaped like a question mark and smells of bins. But those street corners, wow.

...MORE AT lifestyleguides.blogspot.com

algol said...

please don't publish this.


So what's up?
Are you still in Seoul?
If not anymore, too bad.
Meeting with you would have been wonderful.

Charles Montgomery said...

Keena,

My name is Roger Wellor (I found you on the Korean Blogger site) and I’m doing a study of the successes and failures of Korean International Tourism Marketing. I have a brief survey online that I invite you to take. It is designed to be answered by Korean/US bloggers and to give a slight outline of how these cross-cultural thinkers evaluate Korea’s International Marketing.

Sorry to do this in comments, but I didn't see an email link...

Your email will not be used for anything other than this survey (in fact it is not a required field in the survey) and if you have any questions, I can be contacted here at rwellor@spunangel.com.

Here is the link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=C1BZDkamZB1C03Q_2ftJTkVw_3d_3d

thank you,

Roger