WHAT TIME IS IT?

About Me

My photo
Hometown: Detroit, MI;, Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
Welcome to my blog. I hope to share my experiences as an American living overseas in Seoul, South Korea. It promises to be filled with surprising adventures. Please feel free to comment, ask questions & sign my guestbook. I hope that you will come back often to see what my crusade to the East brings.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Black History Month

So far during my time here in Korea, I have had an opportunity to travel around the country a bit for business. This gives me a chance to see many aspects of Korean life. Oftentimes when traveling to other nations, we only get to witness the lifestyle that is set before us in the tourist attractions. I have been given the unique option to see the various faces that define Korea.
On one particular trip, a collegue & I traveled to a town in the Southern region of Korea, called Yangsan, located in Kyongsangnam-do. This is a small industrial town that is trying to contribute to the growth of Korea through industrialization.
While visiting a manufacturing facility in Yongsan, to review their process, we experienced a small delay. Therefore, we were left with a little free time to talk with the management team. Many of them were very anxious to speak to us, as our customers are often excited when they know that you are helping to get them more business. Needless to say, many conversations commenced. However, there was one particular young man, that seemed to stare at me for a little while before coming over to start a conversation.
As we talked, sometimes during the conversation we would struggle. Although his thoughts were concise, his english pronunciation at times was a little challenged. Therefore, most times I would have to deduce what he was saying. But we perserved on through our conversation. He started to tell me about a great man that he really respected & looked up to. I understood the good things about the man, but did not understand who he was talking about. So I had to ask him who he was talking about.
"Ge-wash Carverator" he said.
"Who?..please say it slower," I said.
"Ge-wash-car-va-ra-tor"
I had no clue who he was talking about. So we just continued to talk...but then, he made a reference to the peanut.
"OH! George Washington Carver!" I screamed
"Yes, yes yes, he was a great man. All the things that he acheived despite the problems for black people....I admire him so much, 'cause I came from poor family. He inspired me," he said.
For me that was a great moment of truth. During the cultural training that my company sends employees to before an overseas assignment, I was told that during my voyage, that the Koreans would appreciate the fact that I had done much research on their country finding out about it's people and history. I never did imagine that I too would feel some much pride when discussing the history of my people on that day. To think a young Korean man from the small industrial town of Yangae was so motivated by the struggle of blacks in America, specifically George Washington Carver that it inspired him to realize his dreams. I know I might sound a little patriotic, but at that point I was so proud to be a Black American, I could have burst.
For those of you that might need to brush up on your American history, George Washington Carver was an inventor & scholar. He recognized the need for blacks to be educated, which drove him to start Tuskeegee Institute[College] for blacks. Furthermore, through his zeal for knowledge many blacks were educated during a time, where college was not available to many blacks (incidently he graduated from two top schools; the University of Chicago & Harvard University). He was quite brilliant & he alone discovered over 100 uses for the peanut!
[Please see link for more info ---> George Washington Carver]
Since this is Black history month, I only find it fitting that I challenge each of you out there. Please find a child, any child and share with them the story of George Washington Carver and hopefully it will inspire them to pursue excellence like it did for Tony in Yangae, S Korea.

No comments: