WHAT TIME IS IT?

About Me

My photo
Hometown: Detroit, MI;, Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
Welcome to my blog. I hope to share my experiences as an American living overseas in Seoul, South Korea. It promises to be filled with surprising adventures. Please feel free to comment, ask questions & sign my guestbook. I hope that you will come back often to see what my crusade to the East brings.

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why Are You Here?

Before I set out on my adventure here in the Orient, I was asked many times why I was making the journey to Korea by family members, friends & collegues . I would often answer the question with the most obvious reason,
"I am going to be working in our[Chrysler] Korean office."
On several occasions it was quite obvious that some individuals did not quite understand my excitement behind this statement. Rather, they felt quite uncomfortable with my desire to not just travel but to live & work abroad.
"But why Korea?...You actually want to go there?"they asked.
Unwilling to let them impact my joyful anticipation, I responded with a simple question,
"How many times in your life do you get to go on an adventure and live in another country?????"
Often they would just shrug their shoulders, or shake their heads in disbelief.
"But that is sooo far away," they said as if I had not thought through my decision.
"I KNOW, that's the point!" I replied unable to hide my excitement.

Before making the decision to come to Korea, I knew that traveling over 7,000 miles away from home was going to provide me with some unique experiences not available in Michigan, or the US for that matter. Hopefully, life changing experiences. Hence, I traveled here with the spirit of adventure on my mind. For many years I have worked in corporate America, gone a few places, seen a few things, BUT, never have I placed myself in such an interesting position. Here in Korea, I am totally out of my comfort circle, and I'm loving it! Many of you that know me, know how close I am with my family & how interactive we are within each others lives. Additionally, at home I know the full lay of the land, where to go, what to do, & who to do it with. Making this trek abroad, I have none of the traditonal security of home, but somehow, I find the challenge of establishing a life for myself (albeit it temporary) very exciting.

Americans in Korea

During my researching stage, I recognized that Korean is a mostly homogeneous society, where Korean faces dawn nearly every street corner. However, with the recent years of growth & prosperity witnessed in the Korean economy, Seoul has become a fierce player in the global marketplace. Surely with all this growth, Seoul has seen other black Americans...right? Of course they have! I have found that many Black & non-black Americans reside within the South Korean borders.

Soldiers in the US Military account for the greatest number of Americans in Korea. The US Military has had a very strong presence here in Korea, since the days of the Korean War(Anyone remember MASH 4077?). Securing the borders between North & South Korea and other governmental assignments attribute to the various military posts here in Korea. Amazingly, in all the years since the official cease fire of the Korean War (July 1953), there is still no peace treaty between North & South Korea. Therefore, a strong US military presence continues to keep the borders safe.

Korea's emphasis on global economic expansion with increased US business has opened up opportunities for many Americans to teach English. As a result, Korea has succumbed to strong western influences and many Koreans desire to speak English. Hence, we have another group of brazen Americans (various nationalities). These two sectors of Americans represented in the Korean population have created a unique subset of Black American culture.

Since my arrival, I have been asked many times which of the former two professions I represent. People tend to be quite shocked when I tell them I neither teach English or arrived here through some type of military assignment. Even while traveling, one of the Black flight attendants asked me if I was in the military. Is it so hard to think that a Black woman from the US can be in Korea chasing a different path? Apparently so...but they will just have to get over it!

K

Photobucket

No comments: