WHAT TIME IS IT?

About Me

My photo
Hometown: Detroit, MI;, Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
Welcome to my blog. I hope to share my experiences as an American living overseas in Seoul, South Korea. It promises to be filled with surprising adventures. Please feel free to comment, ask questions & sign my guestbook. I hope that you will come back often to see what my crusade to the East brings.

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Religion in Korea

Religion plays a key component in the lifestyle of many Koreans. Many of you probably think that because Korea is situated in the East that it would be mainly a Buddhist or Confusionist environment. In the US media, Buddhist monks complete with bare feet & shaven heads are commonly portrayed as the dominate religion in Eastern cultures. After a closer inspection of this subject, I learned that this is not necessarily the case here in Korea. Actually, Christianity is the leading religion in the nation. (WOW!) Approximately 50% of Koreans are Christian, and the remaining population is either Buddhist, Confusionist, or a mix of both religions. Now isn't that an interesting factoid? Half of this country believes in the risen savior, Jesus! The largest Christian Church in the world is located in Seoul, Korea. Youido Full Gospel Church boasts a membership of over 800,000 members. Although their main service is held in Korean, they also have English, Chinese, French, Thai & numerous other languaged services to accomodate the diverse church body. The main sanctuary only holds 12,000 people but there are 10 different services (along with 10 seperate choirs) each Sunday. The church belongs to the Assemblies of God fellowship. YouidoFullGospel-12 Youido Full Gospel Church (pictured above) YouidoFullGospel-7 Photo of main sanctuary of Youido Full Gospel Church Please see the church website for more interesting information regarding this great church and it's founding pastor. It also shares the pastor's testimony regarding salvation & the mega-growth of this church (for those of you that might be interested) My Christian Experience I make it no secret to anyone that I meet that I live for Jesus Christ, and believe him to be the risen savior that died for the sins of the world. Growing up in a christian household, I have been introduced to many aspects of the christian lifestyle. Being from a full gospel, pentecostal background I thought coming to Korea would present me with a church worship experience dilemma. NOT SO!!! Not only is the Youido Church in Seoul but, many other thriving spirit-filled ministries are here as well. My own christian experience has been in the fellowship of the Church of God in Christ (COGIC). The Grand 'Ole The Church of God in Christ is the largest Holiness-Pentecostal and African-American Christian denomination in the US. Having been a life-long member of this denomination, I am very familiar with our history as a church. The organization in which the largest church in the world is affliated, the Assemblies of God, separated from the Church of God in Christ in 1913 due to race relations during that time. It was not adviseable for other nationalities to fellowship or take advise from an African-American lead organization. Although the fellowships parted, the same belief system is followed by both groups. (Click on this link for brief history --> COGIC, Inc) Despite the fact that the COGIC is mainly an African-American attended church, there are church locations worldwide. A few of them even exist here in South Korea. One such church, The Word of Faith Mission COGIC is located in Yongsan, Seoul Korea. I have had the pleasure of attending their worship services since I arrived. Founding Pastor Woodrow Givens has been in ministry for over 22 years in Korea.
Photobucket
Some of my fellow COGIC buddies have asked me if I had found a COGIC church, I have indeed. Please see the live video feed from service on Sunday: Wherever You Go...You Have a Friend in Jesus The congregation is a diverse lot of mainly African Americans (from military base), Africans (from Nigeria), and Korean nationals. I was very impressed with their sincere worship & desire to please the Lord. I also noticed that they were very excited to have me worship with them. They were very friendly, and showed me true Christian love. During my first visit, I was introduced to many of the congregants who seemed really intrigued with the fact that I had only been in Korea a few days and had found their church. Only they did not realize that before I left the US, I had sought out their congregation. I was very happy to be in their presence as well, no matter how far I am away from home, away from my friends & family, I don't have to worry cause I always have a friend in Jesus. Does Church=Chicken? I had to ask myself this question after attending services at the local Korean congregation. As the membership body was very friendly & welcoming, I could not help but laugh when I was offered a plate of chicken...Yes, chicken! Many of you out there that are reading this blog have grown up in churches around the US where "Chicken" has always been the main staple of many Sunday dinners. I always thought that Chicken on Sundays was a "black thing" or a "southern" thing, but apparently ladies & gentleman, I was mistaken....'cause CHICKEN is a CHURCH THANG WORLDWIDE!!! Stay tuned, K

1 comment:

SephStar said...

Korea isn't 50% Christian ...
The latest stats are Protestant 19.7%, Roman Catholic 6.6%, Buddhist 23.2%, and nonreligious 49.3%

You're in a secular country.