WHAT TIME IS IT?

About Me

My photo
Hometown: Detroit, MI;, Current Location: Seoul, South Korea
Welcome to my blog. I hope to share my experiences as an American living overseas in Seoul, South Korea. It promises to be filled with surprising adventures. Please feel free to comment, ask questions & sign my guestbook. I hope that you will come back often to see what my crusade to the East brings.

Friday, February 8, 2008

My First AUTHENTIC Korean Meal

Since I am here in Korea, I made a mental decision, not just to view the culture, but attempt to embrace & experience the culture. One can discover many things about a nation's culture through its food. Before coming to Korea, I thought I was gonna face another dillema--What was I gonna eat? For certainly this Black girl from Detroit, whose family roots stem from the South, is not used to experimenting with her palate. But I'm only here for a short while, right? So I might as well dig in. BON APPETIT!
Kimchi- The flavor of Korea
Whenever one thinks of Korean cuisine, one of the first things that comes to mind is Kimchi. I had never tasted Kimchi before, but the basic premise of the ingredients reminds me of the southern "Chaw-chaw" that I have often heard about (I know I spelled that incorrectly, but,...I mean, it's not like they sell it in the store. Give a sister a break on that one!). Kimchi is a fermented mix of cabbage, radishes, peppers & seasonings. This "concotion" is served with most traditional Korean meals. Not only does it have a unique flavor, but it has a slightly pungent aroma likened to nothing I can describe.
Amazingly enough though, I cannot say that it is "nasty," nor can I say that it is "good." FLAVORFUL is how I would describe this staple in the Korean diet. One thing I must note: it can be awfully HOT! I believe I will enjoy it more as my palate matures. Preparing Kimchi is an ardenous process that has been around for over 3000 years! It is often said that, 'Necessity is the mother of invention?' Well, that is kind of how Kimchi got it's start in Korea history. During the winter months, it was impossible to get fresh vegetables. Preparing Kimchi was a way to provide essential nutrients to the Korean diet during this time of year. Large Kimchi pots can still be found on the roofs of many Korean homes.
Did I tell you that Koreans live in a very health conscious society? Actually, I think I have seen only a handful of fat people since I been here! Despite what you might think about this dish, it has all kinds of nutritional benefits like lowering blood pressure & cholesterol. If you don't believe me, check out this link (Kimchi Nutrition). I think a few of us in the US might need to add it to our own diets!
The "REAL" First Korean Meal
Korean BBQ
Some of you have been reading for a minute & might be wondering what happened during my first meal here in Korea. Well I have to tell you, it was quite different! First of all, I had been in Korea for almost a week when I had to leave Seoul on a business trip. No biggie right? I was kinda of nervous about it...after all, I had been in town less than a week and NEVER had tasted authentic Korean food.
As many of you know, my apartment building is absolutely great. It is attached to the COEX mall. This mall is huge & has no less than 3 food courts, & I am talking about some pretty large ones. Unfortunately, I walk past these mini-restauranteers most times on my way in & out of the building . Some of the aromas that can be found in these food courts can be quite tantalizing while others,....they just make me wanna up-chuck! So of course, in reference to eating with true Koreans, well,...we will just say that nervousness abounded.
My collegues are really nice gentlemen (bless their hearts) and they go out of their way to make me feel comfortable. Knowing that I am from America, they understand that my diet is quite different. Also, they understand that Korean traditions are quite foreign to me. So, they decided to take me to a Korean BBQ restaurant. BBQ, I can do that....right? I had been in Seoul for a minute, I was ready. However, I knew it was a bad sign when I saw a COW on the top of the building...most of you know, I really dont like red meat that much...Oh Joy! My collegues were so excited to take me on my first meal, I couldnt burst their bubbles by acting ungrateful and telling them that I wasnt pleased. Therefore, Academy Award Winner Keena made her arrival.
I have to admit though, I was blown off my circle when I realized that I had to TAKE OFF MY SHOES!! I thought that was a Japanese thing...guess not. Of course I didnt have on any shoes that were simple to remove like loafers or pumps....NO I had to have on boots, with heels no mind! Trying to take those off while standing was real treat! It was touch & go for a minute, but Praise be unto GOD! I did not fall :) My collegues did me a favor by requesting a "western style" table & chairs..Thanks guys. I guess they saw the trouble I had just removing my boots & knew that getting on the floor would present even greater challenges.
As with most ladies, it is pretty common to head to the ladies room before a meal to get your world together. Since we had been riding for a while, it was paramount that I take a trek to the bathroom....BUT WAIT! I had taken off my shoes, was I supposed to go in a BATHROOM with my shoes off? Yuck! Much to my delight, there were slippers at the entryway.
Now this part is gonna get a little PG-13 for some of you:
I immediately walked into a stall to relieve myself, I immediately walked back out...that stall didnt have a toilet. So I just went into the next one...ummmh....it didnt have a toilet either? I was totally confused, what was I supposed to do? But then it hit me, there was a hole in the floor, YES A HOLE IN THE FLOOR....well I NEVER!!!!! What was I supposed to do with that hole? I had to use my imagination, much like you are right now -------> After having this much fun before the meal, I had not clue of the adventure before me.....
That day for lunch we had a traditional Korean BBQ. For those of us that don't understand, let me explain a lil further. There were no ribs, not BBQ sauce, nor any pulled pork sandwiches. In the middle of our table there was a big opening, (kind of like the one in the bathroom actually :) and a big pan is placed over the whole. It similar to going to a modern fondue restaurant. Only on this adventure, we were not dipping bread in cheese, or strawberries in chocolate sauce. The waitress turned on the grill and added a bit of oil, she returned to the table moments later with a big tray of meat, yeah, red meat. Of course I was full of questions, they told me that it was similar to steak (tell me anything right?) She put some of these half dollar sized pieces of meat on the grill to begin cooking. Another trip to the table for her, and I was inundated with various dishes all over the table. The sad thing about all these dishes, I couldn't identify not one! Even the supposed western style tossed salad!
After a short time, the meat began to sizzle & surprisingly my dinner mates began to turn the meat over...with their chopsticks (Are u serious? they were just in your mouth) I was certain at the point that I was gonna be sick. First the bathroom, now this? That day, I tasted all kinds of things(after much inquiry)...surpisingly, most of the items were quite tasty (minus the steak...but that is just cause I dont like it). This meal consisted of so many courses, I didnt know if the meal would ever end. There was the meat (the waitress came back numerous times), then rice, and side dishes galore. Of course there was Kimchi. Soup came shortly after those & then tea to top it off. That meal taught me a few things, just cause it doesnt look good, or smell good, or just cause it is very different than what I am accustomed to, does not mean that the meal should be intimidating. And guess what...I didn't even get sick, I just syked myself out for nothing!
Western Cuisine -- All foods are not Created Equal in Korea
Although Seoul is filled with plenty of McDonalds, Burger King & even Popeye's Chicken fast food restaurants, their interpretation of our food is quite different. Many years ago during my first trip to Mexico, I was rather surprised to realize the Mexican food that I was eating in the US was TOTALLY different than the actual cuisine of the country. Even my favorite dishes were somehow infused with a different flavor. Unfortunately for me, that did not allow me to enjoy some of those dishes with the same fervor as I do at home. KOREA is no exception!
While in the office last week, I figured out that I was rather hungry & decided to go to the lower levels of my office building to the food court to gather some vittles. Since I had suddenly developed this ravenous appetite, I decided to get the first familiar thing that I saw. You know how you feel when you are "really" hungry, you don't want to try something that you MIGHT not like. So what did I decide? Mickey D's of course!!!
When I walked into the restaurant, I knew something was wrong immediately. All of you know that your McDonald's experience is usually one in which you enjoy sensory overload. First you see the Golden Arches, then.......you smell the fries, right? WRONG, not in Korea. My brain kept telling me that I was in the wrong place. But that is just a small thing. So, I took a look at the menu....Most of the writing was in Hangul (Korean Script), but they had English words posted up as well.....where is it though? My MOST FAVORITE sandwich in the world...it's not on the menu. I begin to panic, where is the filet of fish??? Apparently in this region it is replaced with the every popular "Shrimp Burger!!!"
McDonald's Shrimp Burger Combo
Kind of looks like a fish sandwich without the tartar sauce...Right???? There are other menu items that one can find uniquely in Korea, they include:
  • The Bulgogi Burger (Pork patty with Bulgogi marinade)
  • McBingsoo (Korean Shaved Ice)
  • Corn Salad (as a side selection in place of fries)
  • The 100 Won deposit on drinking cups if they leave the restaurant.
These unique menu items are rather common at fast-food chains and are based on the local tastes. So next time you are traveling around the world, check out McDonald's and see how they compare!
Korean Food Courts There was a brief mention of the Korean food courts in my building. Since I can't identify many things on the menu, I steer clear of these places. In them I have seen numerous unidentifiable foods. I consider myself a brave soul, but I have my limits. In an environment where they really eat cats & dogs, I have to be careful. Perhaps I just need a native Korean to explain some of the stuff to me so that I feel more comfortable.
PS I have only seen 3 dogs since I have been here!!!!TOTAL! Why do you think that is?
TTYL (Talk to you later)
K

No comments: